This cake is one that dreams are made of, with a deliciously moist pecan caramel cake, with a sweet caramel frosting, and topped with pieces of homemade honeycomb, you can’t go wrong with this cake!
First, preheat oven to 350F and line a 5 inch round cake pan with parchment. This recipe makes a 3 layer cake if you use 5 inch cake pans, but could also make a 9×5 loaf cake, a single layer 9 inch cake, or an 8×8 square pan. Whatever floats your boat!
Next, chop your pecans and prep your flax eggs in a small bowl. Let them chill while you make your batter. In a medium/large saucepan over medium heat, melt together the vegan butter, brown sugar, and coconut milk.
The brown sugar in this recipe gives the perfect caramel flavor. You can use dark or light brown sugar. I used light brown in this recipe but any brown sugar would work to give the cake moistness and that delicious caramel flavor!
You can use any non dairy milk you want in this recipe, including almond milk, cashew milk, oat milk, soy milk, the possibilities are endless!
Once the butter is completely melted, add in the flax eggs and pecans and mix together. You can have the pecans chopped as small or chunky as you like, I usually like mine a little finer so they add a little texture, but don’t overpower the cake.
Next, add in your flour and baking powder. Combine, but make sure not to overmix so your cake doesn’t become dense!
Pour into your cake pan(s), and bake for 30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes in the pans and carefully remove onto a rack. By letting them cool before you remove them, you are making sure that they won’t stick to the sides of the pan and leave you with a crumbly mess.
While the cakes cool, you can make the honeycomb for the top by combining the golden syrup and sugar in a small saucepan. Let the sugar dissolve and boil for 5 minutes. Add in the baking soda. Mix and pour onto a silicone baking mat to cool.
Next, you can make the frosting by whipping the butter with the powdered sugar, vanilla, and golden syrup. Beat until fluffy. Frost the cooled cakes and top with the honeycomb!
Pecan Caramel Cake
- 1.5 cups chopped pecans
- 1.5 cups brown sugar
- 12 tablespoons (1.5 sticks) cubed vegan butter
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed mixed with 5 tablespoons water)
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
For the frosting:
- 1/2 stick vegan butter
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons golden syrup
For the honeycomb topping:
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 325F and line three 5 inch round pans with parchment. In a saucepan over medium heat, mix together the butter, sugar, and coconut milk.
2. Cook until butter is melted. Stir in the flax eggs and chopped pecans. Add in the flour and baking powder, and combine. Pour the batter into the pans.
3. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove to cool completely on a wire rack.
4. Make the honeycomb by combining the golden syrup and sugar in a small saucepan. Boil the mixture for 5 minutes, then add in the baking soda. Stir slightly, then pour into a silicone baking sheet to cool.
5. Make the frosting by beating together all of the ingredients, until fluffy. Spread on cooled cakes, and top with the cooled honeycomb. Enjoy!