Shortbread is such a delicious and classic cookie, especially when you add the perfect amount of spice and dip it into dark chocolate, making it the perfect combination of flavors and a treat that’s sure to amaze your tastebuds!
First, preheat the oven to 350F and prepare your flax egg so it can gel while you begin to mix the ingredients. You can also line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment if you prefer.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda. The cinnamon adds the perfect amount of spice in this recipe, and makes these shortbread cookies uniquely delicious! The baking soda is also essential, and makes sure the cookies are soft and rise when they bake, and don’t turn into flat and hard hockey pucks!
In a separate bowl, whisk your flax egg with the powdered sugar until smooth. Powdered sugar is used in this recipe to make sure the cookies stay soft and smooth, so you don’t see or taste the larger granules of sugar! It helps make the shortbread soft and crumbly as well, and super melt in your mouth delicious.
Then add in the vanilla extract and agave syrup! Both add amazing flavor to these cookies, and the agave syrup also adds sweetness! You can use another liquid sweetener if you prefer, such as maple syrup or golden syrup!
Mix in the oil next! I used vegetable oil for these cookies but any neutral oil would work, including canola oil, avocado oil, or even melted coconut oil! Make sure to mix well, as the oil will want to separate from the other ingredients.
Add in half of the flour mixture and mix until a rough dough forms. Then add in the remaining flour mixture. Once combined, if the dough is still too crumbly, add more oil until it reaches a texture that is moist enough to scoop. Don’t worry if the cookie dough is still a little crumbly, see the picture below.
Next, you can use a cookie scoop or your hands to form the dough into rough balls. Place them on a silicone lined baking mat, and flatten them into cookie shapes. These cookies do not spread very much in the oven, so by flattening them, you determine the shape of your cookie.
Bake the cookies for 11-12 minutes. Remove from the pan to cool on a rack. While they cool, you can mix together the chocolate chips and vegetable oil in a microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave. You can use whatever kind of chocolate you like! I used dark chocolate in this recipe, but you could use any vegan chocolate, including semisweet or even vegan white chocolate if you prefer!
You can also use any oil you’d like here with the chocolate. I used vegetable but canola oil, coconut oil, or even a little bit of vegan butter could work!
I would recommend melting the chocolate in a tall microwave safe container or bowl. This way it makes the cookies easier to tip! I used a glass measuring cup. Once the cookies are partially cool, or at least cool enough to hold, you can dip them in the melted chocolate. Dip half the cookie in the chocolate, then set back on the wire rack to cool. Enjoy!
Chocolate Dipped Spiced Shortbread
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
For the dipping chocolate:
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with silicone mats. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flax egg and powdered sugar. Add in vanilla extract and agave. Whisk together and then add in the vegetable oil.
3. Mix in half of the flour mixture until a rough dough forms. Then add in the other half. Add in more vegetable oil if needed. Scoop out dough into balls on the silicone lined pans.
4. Slightly flatten the cookies on the pans, then bake for 11-12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack while you melt the chocolate chips with the vegetable oil in a microwave safe container.
5. Dip the cookies into the melted chocolate, and then place back on the wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!