How can you make a good cookie even better? Chocolate chunks! Snickerdoodles are a delicious classic cookie, but in this recipe, I take it up a notch by adding chocolate chunks that melt into ooey gooey piles of goodness inside a soft, melt in your mouth cinnamon snickerdoodle!
First, preheat the oven to 350F. Line one baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat! This recipe makes about 12 cookies, so you can double it if you want more!
Then, in a medium bowl, beat together the vegan butter and sugar using a hand mixer! You could also use a stand mixer, such as a kitchen aid, if you prefer! Use whatever brand of vegan butter you would like here, you could even try using softened coconut oil as well! Your butter should not be melty when you put it in the bowl, just soft to the touch.
Make sure the butter and sugar are combined very well, I usually beat them for about 3-4 minutes, or until I see it get fluffier and lighter in color, an indication that there is some air incorporated, what we need for fluffy and soft cookies!
Then, add in the flax egg and vanilla extract. The flax egg acts as a binder in this recipe, and helps hold the cookie together. If you don’t have ground flaxseed (I would recommend you get some, it’s so helpful in baking and has a ton of health benefits), you could try substituting dairy free yogurt or applesauce! Vanilla helps give these cookies their sweet flavor like classic snickerdoodles!
Beat in the flax egg and vanilla using the hand mixer until completely combined and fluffy! In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar!
Baking soda helps the cookies rise. Cream of tartar may seem like an odd ingredient, but it’s essential to give the snickerdoodles their classic tangy flavor! It’s cheap and easy to find in the spice section of your local grocery store! Make sure your dry ingredients are mixed together well.
Next, just pour the dry ingredients into the wet and use the hand mixer to beat together. Make sure not to overmix the dough, or your cookies could end up too dense! Once mostly combined (it’s okay if there’s a few streaks of flour), add in your chocolate chunks!
If you don’t have chocolate chunks, you can use a chopped chocolate bar or chocolate chips! Fold in the chunks. Then, mix together your cinnamon and sugar that you are going to roll your dough balls in!
Make sure you mix them in a shallow container, so it’s easy to roll your dough. Scoop the dough into balls, roll in the cinnamon sugar, and place on your lined cookie sheet. Bake for about 12 minutes, cool, and enjoy!
Chocolate Chunk Snickerdoodles
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water)
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks
- 1/3 cup sugar plus 1 teaspoon cinnamon for rolling
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat. In a medium bowl, beat together the vegan butter and sugar.
2. Add in the flax egg and vanilla extract, beat well. Set aside. In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.
3. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and beat well. When theres only a few streaks of flour remaining, fold in the chocolate chunks. In a shallow dish, mix together the cinnamon and sugar.
4. Scoop the cookies into balls and roll in the cinnamon sugar. Place on the baking sheet, bake for 12 minutes. Cool, and enjoy!