I love strawberry ice cream! It’s sweet, refreshing and perfect on top of these chewy blondies that are filled with chocolate chunks and topped with chopped strawberries for an incredible berry treat!
First, we are going to make the blondie layer. Start by preheating the oven to 350F and spraying an 8×8 pan so your blondies don’t stick! Then, in a medium bowl, beat together your softened coconut oil and coconut sugar!
I love using coconut sugar in this recipe because it adds the perfect rich flavor, but you can also use brown sugar or even white sugar! The coconut oil can be replaced with vegan butter if you prefer, just make sure it’s softened before you mix it together!
Beating the coconut oil and coconut sugar together helps combine them as well as helps the coconut sugar to become less clumpy and grainy in your dough.
Then, add in the flax egg and and vanilla extract! The flax egg helps hold the blondies together and acts as a binder in place of an egg, and the vanilla helps give the blondies the perfect sweet flavor! Beat those into the coconut oil mixture, until light and fluffy!
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt! Baking soda in this recipe is used to help the blondies rise, but because we aren’t using baking powder as well, the blondies won’t get too fluffy. We don’t want to end up with a fluffy cake rather than a chewy blondie!
Then, pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold all together. Add in the chocolate chunks and fold those in as well. If you prefer, you can replace the chocolate chunks with any kind of chopped chocolate or chocolate chips that you like!
Or leave out the chocolate chunks all together if you really want. Carefully spread the dough into the pan, and then top with the sliced strawberries. I evenly spread out my slices, so they didn’t overlap. Bake for 15-20 minutes, then set aside to cool.
While the bars are cooling, we can make the ice cream topping. First, purée the strawberries in a food processor or blender until smooth. It won’t take very long, especially if your strawberries are nice and ripe!
Then, using a hand mixer or a stand mixer, whip the dairy free heavy cream until soft peaks start to form. You could also use canned coconut cream here if you wish, but there will be more of a coconut flavor!
Once soft peaks form, add in the powdered sugar and sieve in the strawberry purée. Make sure to strain it before adding it in, unless you want seeds and chunks in your ice cream topping.
Next, pour the mixture onto the cooled blondies and place in the freezer for the ice cream layer to harden. It will take about 3-4 before it’s firm enough to cut without being a big mess! Slice the bars and enjoy!
Strawberry Blondie Ice Cream Bars
For the blondies:
- 6 tablespoons softened coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks
- 3 sliced strawberries for topping
For the ice cream layer:
- 1 cup dairy free heavy cream (or coconut cream)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 strawberries (to purée)
1. Preheat oven to 350F and spray an 8×8 pan. In a medium bowl, beat together the coconut oil and coconut sugar. Then beat in the flax egg and vanilla extract.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Pour into the wet ingredients and fold together. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
3. Spread into the prepared pan, and top with sliced strawberries. Bake for 15-20 minutes, cool completely.
4. Make the ice cream layer by beating the dairy free heavy cream until soft peaks. Beat in the puréed strawberries and powdered sugar. Pour on the bars and freeze for 3-4 hours. Slice and enjoy!