These sandwich cookies are taken up a notch, as they’re made with brown butter that adds a nutty and complex flavor! They’re so easy to make and sandwiched together with strawberry jam, making them a delicious sweet treat!
First, preheat the oven to 325F and line a pan with parchment or a silicone baking mat. In a saucepan over medium heat, begin melting the vegan butter. You want to keep cooking the butter until brown specks begin to form at the bottom and it turns a dark amber color.
Some brands of vegan butter do not brown as well as others, and I have only used the Miyokos brand vegan butter to brown for these cookies. Feel free to try other brands and let me know how it goes!
Next, pour into a heat safe bowl and let cool for a few minutes. Then, add in the sugar and whisk together. Then add in the flax eggs and vanilla extract. Mix well until combined.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. The baking powder helps make these cookies fluffy and soft, perfect for cookie sandwiches.
Pour the dry ingredients into the butter mixture and stir together. Scoop or roll into balls and place on the baking sheet. This recipe makes about eight cookie sandwiches, so sixteen cookies total!
Bake for 11 minutes, and then cool. If the cookies aren’t cooled completely, the jam could melt and make the cookie sandwiches messy and hard to eat. So once the cookies are cool, then you can sandwich with with strawberry jam or whatever jam you choose! Enjoy!
Vegan Brown Butter Cookie Sandwiches
- 3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) vegan butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed mixed with 5 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Strawberry jam for filling
1. Preheat the oven to 325F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking sheet. In a saucepan melt the vegan butter until brown specks form and it turns an amber color.
2. Pour into a heat safe bowl and cool for a few minutes. Whisk in the sugar, and then mix in the flax eggs and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add into the butter mixture and combine. Scoop or roll into balls and place on the pan.
4. Bake for 11 minutes, then cool completely. Sandwich with strawberry jam, and enjoy!