These lemon cream scones are so fluffy and moist, full of lemon flavor and perfect for a fun breakfast! Scones are surprisingly easy to make, and these are perfect for summer!
First, in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. These scones are perfectly sweet, but not overly so, pairing with the lemon flavor well! Baking soda and baking powder are used in this recipe to make sure the scones have a super tall rise and fluffy texture.
Add in the lemon zest and cubed vegan butter and use your hands or a pastry cutter to combine. Keep mixing until your scone dough resembles coarse crumbs with pea sized chunks of butter. Make sure your butter is cold, I like to place it in the freezer when I’m preparing the other ingredients, like zesting the lemon and whisking the dry ingredients!
Once combined, add in the dairy free yogurt and dairy free heavy cream or coconut cream! I use cashew milk yogurt because it’s so creamy, but you can use any vanilla or plain dairy free yogurt. I also used dairy free heavy cream, but you can also use coconut cream!
Stir together. The dough will be pretty crumbly, but don’t worry. Dump it onto a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Form into a circular shape.
Cut into squares, I made about 18 scones, but you may have a few more or less, depending on how wide you formed the dough! Spread out onto the pan, and then freeze for 1 hour. Freezing the scones prevents them from spreading too much or the vegan butter from melting too fast. It also helps them rise!
Preheat the oven to 425F. Brush the scones with more of the dairy free heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar. This helps the tops brown and for you to get a nice crunch along with the fluffy scone texture! Bake for 12 minutes, cool, and enjoy!
Lemon Cream Scones
- 3.5 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 lemon (2-3 teaspoons)
- 1/2 cup cold diced vegan butter
- 1/3 cup dairy free heavy cream or coconut cream
- 1/3 cup dairy free yogurt
- Extra dairy free heavy cream and sugar for topping
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Then add in the lemon zest and diced vegan butter, combine using a pastry cutter or your hands.
2. Add in the diary free heavy cream and dairy free yogurt, combine. Add more if needed to form into a dough. Place on a lined cookie sheet and shape into a circle.
3. Cut into squares or triangles. Freeze for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 425F. Brush with dairy free heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 12 minutes, cool, and enjoy!