These muffins are so fluffy, with amazingly delicious muffin tops covered in shredded coconut! These muffins have amazing sweet banana flavor, along with coconut and chopped pineapple for a tangy and delicious kick!
First, preheat the oven to 350F, and line a muffin tin with paper liners. This recipe makes 12 muffins! Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Baking soda is used in these muffins to help them rise and get a nice golden brown top. Cinnamon pairs nicely with the banana in these muffins, and adds the perfect amount of spice!
In a separate large bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, flax egg, sugar and vanilla extract. Add in the melted coconut oil! If you don’t have or like the taste of coconut oil, you can use melted butter or any other liquid oil, such as vegetable, avocado, or canola oil!
I always freeze some ripe bananas when I have them and when I need to use them, I just microwave them until soft and mash them to use in baked goods! It works perfectly and you never have to throw away your brown bananas!
Then fold in the chopped pineapple and shredded coconut. I used chopped frozen pineapple, but you can chop fresh or canned pineapple as well! Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, fold together, and divide into the muffin tins. Sprinkle with more coconut, and bake for 20-22 minutes. Cool, and enjoy!
Tropical Banana Muffins
- 1.5 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed 3 tablespoons water)
- 3 mashed bananas
- 1/2 cup chopped pineapple (fresh or frozen)
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- More coconut for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
2. In a larger separate bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, vanilla, sugar, and flax egg. Then stir in the melted coconut oil. Fold in the chopped pineapple and shredded coconut.
3. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet, then divide equally among the muffin cups. Bake for 20-22 minutes, cool, and enjoy!