These scones are foolproof, so easy to make and full of amazing raspberry and almond flavor, using fresh raspberries! They’re so soft and not at all hard or chewy, making them a perfect breakfast, snack, or an elegant dessert!
First preheat the oven to 375F. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, almond flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt! Almond flour may not be a traditional scone ingredient, but in these scones it adds some almond flavor, as well as contributes to the soft texture!
We use both baking powder and baking soda in this recipe because together they help the scones rise more, and baking soda helps the scones become more golden brown.
Next, add in the cubes vegan butter and combine using a pastry cutter or your hands. I like to use a pastry cutter to work in the vegan butter because it keeps my hands clean, and it also allows for the butter to be cut into smaller pieces without melting into the dough because of the heat from my hands.
So I’d definitely recommend getting yourself a pastry cutter, they’re inexpensive and super common to find in just about any store that sells baking or cooking supplies!
Then, add in the flax egg, the dairy free berry yogurt, the almond extract and the vanilla extract. Combine. I love using yogurt in my scone recipes because it helps the dough hold together so well, plus it adds a creamy flavor and keeps the scones thick and fluffy.
I used the So Delicious brand raspberry coconut milk yogurt, but you can use any dairy free berry yogurt, or even sub vanilla or plain if you would like! I can’t think of a single dairy free yogurt flavor that would not work in this recipe, so whatever you have available to you will work! If you aren’t using a single serving yogurt cup for this recipe, the amount of dairy free yogurt you’ll need is about 3/4 cup!
We use both almond and vanilla extract in this recipe because the vanilla extract helps the scones taste sweeter and works so well with the tart raspberries, while the almond extract contributes to the hint of almond flavor that makes these scones uniquely delicious!
Once mostly combined (it’s okay if there’s a few pockets of flour), add in your fresh raspberries! If you don’t have fresh raspberries on hand, feel free to substitute frozen raspberries, or you could even leave them out or substitute for other fruit such as blueberries, blackberries, or even chopped strawberries!
Carefully fold them in, you want to try and smush them as little as you can! Pour out the dough onto a silicone or parchment lined baking sheet and form into a large circular shape. Cut into around 12 triangles, then spread out on the pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, and enjoy!
Almond Raspberry Scones
- 2 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon and 3 tablespoons water)
- 5.3oz dairy free berry yogurt (or 3/4 cup dairy free yogurt)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
1. Preheat oven to 375F. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the vegan butter with your hands or pastry cutter.
2. Add in the flax egg, dairy free yogurt, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Mix together, then fold in the raspberries. Pour dough onto a lined baking pan.
3. Shape into a circular shape, then cut into 10-12 triangles. Spread out on the pan, then bake for 20-25 minutes, enjoy!