These are so rich, so chocolatey and so full of spice that you’ll be blown away by how delicious they taste! The texture is soft and fudgy, with chewy edges and full of melty chocolate chips! Topped with a sprinkle of sea salt, these cookies are perfect for chocolate lovers or anyone who loves dessert!
First preheat the oven to 350F and line your baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper! Then, beat together the vegan butter and brown sugar until they’re light and fluffy! I use brown sugar in this recipe because it keeps the cookies softer and moister (because of the added molasses in brown sugar) than cookies made with white sugar!
Next, beat in the flax eggs and the vanilla extract or vanilla paste! Once combined, set aside. In a separate bowl, sift together the baking powder, kosher salt, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, cocoa powder and flour! You may be surprised to see cayenne pepper, but I promise these cookies aren’t spicy at all! The cayenne pepper adds a hint of spice that perfectly elevates the flavor of the chocolate!
You want to sift these ingredients together because it evenly combines them and makes sure that there are no clumps, especially clumps of flour or cocoa. When there’s no clumps, your cookies turn out perfectly smooth and fudgy!
Then, pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and beat together using a hand mixer. Don’t overmix, because you still need to fold in the chocolate chips! So it’s okay if there’s still some streaks of the dry ingredients.
Next, fold in the chocolate chips! I chose dark chocolate because it adds to the rich flavor of these cookies and pairs great with the cinnamon, but milk chocolate would be equally delicious!
Then scoop into balls using your hands, a spoon, or a cookie scoop! Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10-11 minutes. Cool slightly on the pan, then cool completely on a wire rack. Enjoy!
Cinnamon Chocolate Cookies
- 1/2 cup softened vegan butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed mixed 5 tablespoons water)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or vanilla paste
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1.25 cups flour
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and line two trays with silicone liners or parchment paper. Beat together the vegan butter and brown sugar. Then beat in the vanilla extract and flax eggs.
2. In a separate bowl, sift together the baking powder, kosher salt, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, cocoa powder, and flour. Pour into the wet ingredients and beat to combine.
3. Once mostly combined, fold in the dark chocolate chips. Scoop into balls and place on prepared pans. Bake for 10-11 minutes. Cool for a few minutes on the tray before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with sea salt and enjoy!