If you’ve never heard of buckwheat flour, you need to try it! It’s similar to other wheat flours, except it’s not made from wheat at all! It has an earthy flavor, but isn’t as dark or dense as other wheat flours like whole wheat or rye flour. It pairs amazingly with strawberries in this cake, and makes for a perfect spring dessert!
First, you preheat the oven to 350F. Spray an 8×8 pan and line it with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine the lemon zest, coconut sugar, and flax eggs. The lemon zest makes this cake taste fresh and tangy! If you’d like, I’m sure substituting it with orange zest would be just as delicious!
I used coconut sugar in this recipe because I love the sweet and dark coconut taste it gives to this cake! However brown sugar or even white sugar would work perfectly in this cake! This cake isn’t too sweet, so if you’re really looking for a decadent dessert, I would suggest adding 1/4 cup more sugar or even just checking out the other recipes on my blog!
Next, add in the avocado oil, dairy free yogurt, cardamom, vanilla extract and kosher salt. You can use any neutral tasting oil here, such as vegetable oil, canola oil, coconut oil, or even melted vegan butter. I just love how rich avocado oil is and find it works perfectly in this cake!
I used dairy free cashew milk vanilla yogurt because it’s my favorite and what I had on hand, but you could use any plain dairy free yogurt or even dairy free strawberry yogurt! The cardamom is this cake adds an amazing sophisticated flavor, but if you don’t have it or don’t like the taste, you are welcome to omit it!
To the same bowl, add in the white flour, buckwheat flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Fold with a spatula until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Then, carefully place your sliced strawberries. You could just sprinkle them on, but I think we can all agree it would look prettier if they carefully placed. To each their own!
Bake the cake for about 50 minutes. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove from the pan, slice, and enjoy!
Buckwheat Strawberry Cake
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup dairy free yogurt
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1.25 cups sliced strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and line an 8×8 baking pan. Combine the lemon zest, coconut sugar and flax eggs. Whisk until combined.
2. Add in the dairy free yogurt, avocado oil, cardamom, vanilla extract and kosher salt, whisk until smooth. Add in the white flour, buckwheat flour, baking powder and baking soda. Fold.
3. Spread into the prepared pan, carefully place sliced strawberries on top. Bake for 50 minutes, then cool in the pan for 15 minutes, remove to a rack, slice, and enjoy!