These cookies are so fudgy and chewy, and they’re covered in sugar which produces an amazingly crunchy exterior! They’re simple to make, and if there’s anyone in your life who loves chocolate, they’ll love these amazing cookies!
First, preheat the oven to 350F. Then, beat together the melted vegan butter and brown sugar until combined. We use melted vegan butter in this recipe opposed to softened, because it makes the cookies softer and allows them to spread more!
The brown sugar helps keep the cookies moist, and the darker molasses flavor pairs so well with the rich chocolatey flavor!
Next, beat in the flax eggs and vanilla extract! In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt! Use any cocoa powder you would like here, I’ve used natural cocoa powder snd Dutch process cocoa powder, and they both resulted in delicious cookies!
The baking soda in this cookies helps them to be lighter and more fudgy inside, along with making them taller and more beautiful! Make sure to whisk the dry ingredients well so they’re evenly combined.
Then, add the dry ingredients into the wet and combine until a smooth dough forms! It should be thick enough to roll into balls. Using a cookie scoop or your hands, carefully roll or scoop the dough into balls and roll them in a bowl of sugar.
Once coated, place on a baking sheet that’s been lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Place in the oven and bake for 10-11 minutes. Cool, and enjoy!
Sugar Coated Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup melted vegan butter
- 1.5 cups brown sugar
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed mixed with 5 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar for rolling
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line cookie sheets with parchment or silicone mats. First, beat together the melted vegan butter and brown sugar. Add in the flax eggs and vanilla and combine.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, and salt. Add into the wet ingredients and beat together. Using your hands or a cookie scoop, shape cookies into balls and roll them in the sugar.
3. Place on the baking sheet and bake for 10-11 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!