These chocolate chip scones aren’t dense or chewy at all, they’re soft, fluffy, and full of gooey dark chocolate chips! They are my dream scone, sprinkled with coarse sugar and so easy to make, not to mention buttery and delicious!
First, in a large bowl, whisk together the cake flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Cake flour in so important in this recipe! It’s not to hard to find at your local grocery store, and I promise it’s worth it! The difference between cake flour and regular all purpose flour is the protein content.
Because the protein content of cake flour is lower, it doesn’t develop as much gluten when mixing and therefore results in a lighter and fluffier scone. Using all purpose flour can make these scones dense and chewy, textures you don’t really want in a scone.
Once combined, add in the vegan butter and using your hands or a pastry cutter, combine into the dry ingredients until only pea sized chunks remain. This ensures that there are small pockets of butter in the scone dough that create fluffy and airy scones.
In a separate bowl, combine the flax eggs, vanilla extract, dairy free yogurt, and dairy free milk. You can use any dairy free yogurt or milk, I used plain cashew milk yogurt (you could use any flavor!) and coconut milk.
Next, mix in the dark chocolate chips into the dry ingredients. You could use any dairy free chocolate chips or even leave out the chocolate chips if you want plain scones!
Add in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir together using a wooden spoon or large spatula. Don’t over mix, as over-mixing is another reason your scones may turn out dense and chewy.
Carefully place on a silicone or parchment lined cookie sheet and divide into two parts. Pat into 6 inch rounds. It’s okay if the dough is a little sticky at this point. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
This makes sure the butter stays cold in these scones, and so it doesn’t melt before the scones go in the oven. While they’re freezing, preheat the oven to 425F. After you remove them from the freezer, cut each of the 6 inch rounds into 8 equal triangles. You can use a knife or a bench scraper to do this.
Then, brush the tops of the scones with dairy free milk and sprinkle coarse sugar on top. Any coarse sugar will do, and any dairy free milk works as well, though I used coconut milk. Then, place the scones on the top rack of your oven.
This is to ensure that the bottoms don’t get too brown, because trust me, they cook much faster than the tops on the scones! Bake for 22 minutes, then place on a wire rack to cool, although these scones are best when warm! Enjoy!
Dark Chocolate Chip Scones
- 2.75 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cubed and chilled vegan butter
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed mixed with 5 tablespoons water)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dairy free yogurt
- 1/2 cup dairy free milk (coconut, oat, almond, etc)
- Dairy free milk and coarse sugar for topping
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Work in the cubed butter with your hands or a pastry cutter. Fold in dark chocolate chips and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine the flax eggs, vanilla extract, dairy free yogurt, and dairy free milk. Stir into the dry ingredients using a large wooden spoon or spatula. Don’t over-mix!
3. Carefully place dough onto a silicone or parchment lined baking sheet, and separate into two 6 inch rounds. Freeze for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425F.
4. Brush the tops of the scones with dairy free milk and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake for 22 minutes on the upper rack of the oven, cool slightly and enjoy warm!
One thought on “Dark Chocolate Chip Scones”