You know those super soft, slightly crumbly grocery store cookies that usually had fluorescent colored frosting and sprinkles on top? These are the perfect veganized version, with a soft and fluffy cookie base, the easiest vegan vanilla buttercream piled on top, and of course fun colored sprinkles! These are so delicious!
First, preheat the oven to 375F and line cookie sheets with parchment or silicone mats! In a large bowl, beat together the vegan butter and sugar. Make sure it is super light and fluffy, as beating them together incorporates air to ensure a fluffy cookie!
Next, add in the flax egg, vegan yogurt, vanilla extract and almond extract! The flax egg and vegan yogurt help hold the cookie dough together! You can use plain or vanilla vegan yogurt, I’ve used both before while testing this recipe, and there is no difference!
The combination of vanilla and almond extract give these cookies incredible flavor, so don’t skip them! If you have an almond allergy, you can totally make these cookies without the almond extract though, I promise they’ll be the same amazing fluffy texture!
Once your wet ingredients are beat together using a hand mixer or stand mixer if you wish, you can set that bowl aside. In a separate, medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt!
The combination of baking powder and baking soda produces a fluffy and soft cookie, and the addition of cream of tartar, an acid, helps the chemical reaction occur!
Add in the dry ingredients into the wet and beat together until a dough is formed. Carefully scoop onto the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Cool completely (because we don’t want the frosting to melt off)!
Once cooled, we can make the vegan vanilla buttercream! In a bowl, beat together the softened vegan butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract! It’s that easy!
Make sure you beat it long enough so it’s super light and fluffy! Carefully spread on top of the cookies, and use your favorite sprinkles to decorate! Enjoy!
Fluffy Frosted Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoons ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water)
- 1/3 cup vegan yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1.75 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup softened vegan butter
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Like baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats. In a large bowl, beat together vegan butter and sugar.
2. Add in the flax egg, vegan yogurt, vanilla extract and almond extract and combine.
3. In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Add into the wet ingredients and mix.
4. Carefully scoop onto the baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes. Cool completely.
5. Beat together frosting ingredients, then spread on top of the cookies and top with your favorite sprinkles! Enjoy!