This small batch cupcake recipe makes exactly 6 cupcakes, perfect for a small celebration or maybe all for yourself! They start off with a fluffy vanilla cupcake, topped with a creamy and sweet strawberry buttercream and of course a chocolate drizzle and mini chocolate chips on top!
Start by preheating the oven to 350F. In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. The combination of baking powder and baking soda means these cupcakes get super tall and fluffy!
The next step may seem odd for cupcakes, but you are gonna to put the softened butter directly into the dry ingredients. You can use a spoon or a fork to combine until only small crumbs of butter remain.
The reason you mix the butter directly into the dry ingredients is so you get little pockets of butter in the batter, ensuring the cupcakes are moist and fluffy, and helping them get even taller!
In a separate bowl, combine the flax egg, vegan sour cream, vanilla extract and coconut milk. The vegan sour cream can be replaced with a dairy free yogurt! The coconut milk can also be replaced with any dairy free milk, such as soy milk, oat milk, or almond milk!
Once the wet ingredients are whisked together, pour them into the flour mixture and fold together. Make sure not to over-mix. Scoop into greased muffin liners and let rest for five minutes.
By letting the batter rest, you let the baking soda activate, and allowing air pockets to form before baking, increasing the height and fluff of the cupcakes.
When the batter has rested, then put the cupcakes into the preheated oven and bake for 20-22 minutes. They should be firm but still bouncy to the touch. Set aside to let the cupcakes cool.
Once the cupcakes have cooled, you can make the buttercream. Start by combining the powdered sugar, vegetable shortening, vanilla extract, and strawberry jam! I used vegetable shortening for this buttercream because it’s often stiffer than vegan butter so it produces a more sturdy frosting. It also has a more neutral flavor, so it won’t overpower the strawberry jam.
The strawberry jam is what gives these Neapolitan cupcakes their strawberry flavor, and brings a tangy and fresh twist to these cupcakes! If you’re allergic to strawberry or maybe just want to switch it up, feel free to replace the strawberry jam with any other fruit jam of your choosing! Any other berry jam would taste amazing, as well as orange marmalade.
After mixing all four ingredients with a spoon until completely combined, it will result in a very stiff or even crumbly result. That’s when you add in the coconut milk, using a spoon to combine. You are welcome to add more if you want a softer frosting, but be careful not to add too much or else your buttercream may be to runny to frost your cupcakes with.
Make sure your cupcakes are completely cooled before frosting! You don’t want the frosting to melt and run of the cupcakes, leaving you with a goopy mess. Next, you can make the chocolate drizzle for the cupcakes!
It’s very simple, just combine the mini chocolate chips or any other chocolate chips or chopped chocolate of your choosing and coconut milk in a ramekin or other microwave safe dish. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until smooth.
Drizzle over the frosting cupcakes, and sprinkle with more mini chocolate chips! Enjoy!
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons softened vegan butter
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water)
- 2 tablespoons vegan sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
For the strawberry buttercream:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jam
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
For the chocolate drizzle:
- 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- More mini chocolate chips for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients and the sugar together. Add in the softened butter and use a spoon to completely combine until only small chunks or crumbles remain.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients. Pour into the flour mixture and combine. Scoop into greased muffin liners and let sit for 5 minutes. Bake for 20-22 minutes and let cool.
3. Make the frosting once the cupcakes are cooled. Start by combining the vegetable shortening, powdered sugar, vanilla, and jam. Mix until combined, then add in the coconut milk.
4. Once buttercream is smooth, frost the cooled cupcakes. Then, make the chocolate drizzle. Combine the coconut milk and mini chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between until smooth.
5. Drizzle over the frosted cupcakes, and sprinkle more mini chocolate chips on top! Enjoy!