Lemon and vanilla are the ultimate combo of sweet and sour, paired together in these chewy cookies with crisp outsides and a slightly gooey interior. They are to die for, and perfect for a summery treat!
Start by preheating the oven to 350F and lining baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats! First, you are going to cream together vegan butter and sugar!
You can use any dairy free butter you like. It’s important to beat the butter and sugar long enough so it makes the cookies fluffy, as well as makes sure there are no large chunks of butter that will melt when baking and leave you with weird and misshapen cookies!
Creaming for a longer time also helps to dissolve the sugar, so there won’t be large granules or chunks of sugar in the cookies and it will be evenly distributed. So make sure you beat long enough using a hand mixer or electric stand mixer. It may seem tedious, but I promise it’s worth it.
Next, add in the vanilla extract or vanilla paste, lemon juice, lemon zest, and the vanilla yogurt! I used vanilla paste because I love the little specks of vanilla bean that it gives to these cookies, but canola extract would give the same amazing flavor!
The zest and juice of the lemon are used in this recipe to get the perfect tangy flavor! Vanilla yogurt is essential to add more vanilla flavor to this recipe, but you can use any dairy free vanilla yogurt, or if you don’t mind losing out on that vanilla, substitute plain dairy free yogurt or even dairy free sour cream.
After you beat in the lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla paste, and the vanilla yogurt, it’s time to add the dry ingredients! To the same bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt! Continue to beat all the ingredients together until a dough is formed.
Scoop the dough and place onto the cookie sheets. Bake for 11 minutes, and then cool, and enjoy!
Lemon Vanilla Cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) vegan butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dairy free vanilla yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste/extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment or silicone baking mat. Cream together the vegan butter and sugar until fluffy using a electric hand mixer or stand mixer.
2. Beat in the dairy free vanilla yogurt, vanilla paste, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and combine. Once a dough forms, scoop into balls on the lined baking sheets.
3. Bake for 11 minutes, cool, and enjoy!