These cookies are so easy, with the perfect amount of sweetness and zesty orange flavor! They’re perfectly chewy and make the best spring treat! With the slight crunch and pop of poppyseeds, these powder sugar rolled beauties are the best!
First, preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking sheet or parchment paper. Then, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds.
The combination of baking powder and baking soda helps the cookies to get that perfectly chewy crinkle texture and the poppyseeds work perfectly with the orange flavor!
Next, in a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar and orange zest. Make sure to mix pretty well, the sugar should get visibly more moist because of the oils in the orange zest that are released, producing a stronger orange flavor. If you don’t have oranges, feel free to use any other citrus in this recipe!
Add in the softened vegan butter. If the butter is too hard the batter will be hard to mix and your cookies will be too tall and puffy! If the butter is too melted, your cookies will be flat and crispy, so be careful!
Beat in the vegan butter, or you could use softened coconut oil, with a hand mixer. Beat very well, and make sure that the mixture is light and fluffy! Then, add in the dairy free yogurt, orange juice, and vanilla extract.
You can use whatever dairy free yogurt or dairy free sour cream you have on hand! It helps contribute to the chewy texture and helps the cookies stick together! I used fresh orange juice here, using the orange I already zested earlier!
Once combined, carefully pour in the dry ingredients and beat together until a dough is formed. In a separate shallow bowl, mix together the powdered sugar and cornstarch.
You might think cornstarch is a weird ingredient to roll your cookies in, but I promise it will produce cookies that have a perfectly coated outside that doesn’t just dissolve as they sit! Carefully scoop the dough into balls one at a time, then roll in the powdered sugar mixture and place onto the lined baking sheet.
Bake for 14 minutes and enjoy! This recipe makes around 22-24 cookies, perfect to share with family or friends!
Orange Poppyseed Crinkle Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tbs poppyseeds
- 1 cup sugar
- zest of 1 orange (about 2-3 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup softened vegan butter
- 1/4 cup dairy free yogurt
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line baking sheets with parchment or silicone baking mats.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and poppyseeds.
3. In a spectate bowl, whisk together the sugar and orange zest. Then beat in the softened vegan butter.
4. Add in the orange juice, dairy free yogurt, and vanilla and beat together. Pour in the dry ingredients and beat until cookie dough is formed.
5. In a small bowl whisk together powdered sugar and cornstarch. Scoop dough into balls and roll in powdered sugar mixture. Place on baking sheet and bake for 14 minutes. Cool on the pan and enjoy!