These snickerdoodles are maybe some of the best cookies I’ve ever made! The vegan brown butter adds a rich and nutty flavor, and the texture is so soft and chewy! The cinnamon sugar coating even has sprinkles to make it extra fun! You can’t go wrong with these crowd pleasing cookies!
First, preheat the oven to 350F and line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Next, we are going to brown our vegan butter.
I use Miyokos brand vegan butter because it browns just like dairy butter, but you can try it with other vegan butters as well! The recipe will work with melted butter if you don’t want to use this extra step, but if you can, I highly recommend it!
Simply place the vegan butter in a saucepan, and then on medium high heat, melt it and stir often. Keep cooking the vegan butter until you can see dark amber bits forming on the bottom of the pan. While browning, the butter will foam up significantly, so keep your eye out, you may need to adjust the heat!
Once your vegan butter has been browned, carefully pour it into a large heat safe bowl! Then, into the bowl, add in the brown sugar and white sugar. The combination of white and brown sugar helps the cookies to stay chewy with perfectly crisp edges and a rich sweet flavor!
Whisk the brown butter and sugar together really well to dissolve the sugar completely. Then add in the flax eggs and vanilla extract and whisk to combine. The flax eggs help hold the cookies together, and vanilla extract give the snickerdoodles amazing flavor.
Next, I’m a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cream of tartar. Using a combo of baking soda and cream of tartar helps our cookies rise, and cream of tartar also gives the cookies their classic snickerdoodle tang!
Once whisked together, carefully pour the dry ingredients into the wet and fold together until combined. In a small bowl or container, mix together the cinnamon sugar and sprinkles! Scoop the dough into balls and roll around in the cinnamon sugar sprinkle mixture.
Carefully place on the prepared baking sheet, then repeat with the rest of the cookie dough! This recipe will make a little over 24 cookies, depending on the size of your dough balls! Bake the cookies for 10 minutes, cool, and enjoy!
Vegan Brown Butter Funfetti Snickerdoodles
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 1.25 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed mixed with 5 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2.5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
For funfetti cinnamon sugar mixture
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment or silicone baking mats. In a medium saucepan, cook vegan butter until amber colored.
2. Pour into heat safe bowl. Add in brown sugar and white sugar and whisk. Then add in flax eggs and vanilla and combine.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and cream of tartar. Pour into the wet ingredients and fold together.
4. In a separate, shallow bowl, mix together the cinnamon, sugar, and sprinkles. Scoop the dough into balls and roll them in this mixture.
5. Place on the baking sheet, bake for 10 minutes, cool, and enjoy!