Before we go all out on delicious Christmas cookies and winter treats, I wanted to end fall with a bang! And this Apple Crumble Bread is just perfect! It’s so soft, fluffy and moist, with a sweet crumble that’s out of this world!
First, preheat the oven to 400F and spray two 9×5 loaf pans with cooking spray. If you only have 8×4 loaf pans, I believe this recipe would make about three to four 8×4 loaves of apple bread! In a large bowl, beat together vegan butter and sugar. You want to continue beating, using a hand mixer or a stand mixer, until the mixture looks fluffy and lighter in color.
Next, add in the flax eggs, dairy free yogurt, vanilla extract, oat milk and apple cider vinegar. The flax eggs help hold the bread together, and the dairy free yogurt adds moisture to the bread!
You can use any dairy free yogurt you’d like, I personally prefer vanilla for this recipe! The apple cider vinegar reacts with the rising agents and helps the bread become light and fluffy! You can use any dairy free milk you would like!
Once all the ingredients are beat together, your mixture may look a bit curdled, as the vegan butter and the oat milk don’t want to mix together very well! Don’t worry at all, I promise it will come together when you add in the dry ingredients.
Next, add in the flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda. The combination of baking powder and baking soda should help the bread be nice and fluffy! Fold the dry ingredients in until they are mostly combined, then add in the chopped apples and chopped nuts!
You can use any kind of apples here, just make sure to cut then into small cubes! And you can use any kind of nut you desire, personally I’ve tried this recipe with both pecans and walnuts and it was delicious! At this point, the batter will be very thick, but just fold as best as you can until it’s all all combined. Carefully divide the batter between the too 9×5 loaf pans and smooth.
Next, make the crumble by combining the vegan butter, flour, sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. The butter should be cold, so you can work it into the crumble, similar to how you would a pastry dough or pie crust! The combo of sugar and brown sugar keeps the crumble sweet and moist! Carefully divide the mixed crumble onto the loaves and bake for 60 minutes! Cool, slice and enjoy!
Apple Crumble Bread
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed mixed with 5 tablespoons water)
- 1/2 cup dairy free yogurt
- 1.5 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup oat milk
- 4.5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 cups diced apples
- 1 cup chopped nuts
For the crumble:
- 10 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare your flax eggs and chop your apples and your nuts, if needed. Spray two 9×5 loaf pans with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, beat together the vegan butter and sugar. Mix in the flax eggs, dairy free yogurt, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract and oat milk until combined.
3. Fold in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon, just until mostly combined. Then fold in the chopped apples and chopped nuts.
4. Divide batter between the two pans. In a medium bowl, mix the crumble ingredients, the vegan butter, flour, sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
5. Use a fork or your hands to combine the crumble until a uniform texture. Sprinkle on top of the loaves.
6. Bake for 60 minutes, cool, and enjoy!