These scones are so soft and fluffy, with a perfectly chewy exterior and an orange flavor that’s to die for! They have the best citrus punch, are are filled with chewy bites of dried cherries that really bring them to the next level! They make such a fun breakfast or even a delicious snack!
First, preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet. It’s important that if possible, you can place the scones on an upper or top rack of your oven if you have it! This is so the bottoms don’t get too cooked while the top isn’t even golden brown!
In a large bowl, combine the cake flour, baking powder, salt and sugar! Cake flour is my secret ingredient to make scones light and fluffy! No more dense scones here! Baking powder helps the scones rise and get more fluffy as well!
Next, cut in the vegan butter! Just add it to the bowl and use a pastry cutter, fork, or even your hands to mix it in until only small chunks remain!
Then, add in the orange zest and the chopped dried cherries! I use the zest of 1 orange, and usually zest it into a bowl beforehand, so I have it ready to go when I get to this step!
I also make sure to chop my dried cherries so you don’t have large chunks that make it hard to cut the scones and make it harder for the scone dough to stay together! If you don’t have dried cherries, or can’t find them, you can use any dried fruit, including dried cranberries!
Next, add in the flax eggs and the oat milk! The flax eggs help the scone dough stay together, while the oat milk helps moisten the dough and make it able to be formed and cut!
You can use any dairy free milk here, whatever you have on hand will work perfectly! Once the dough is combined, dump it onto the prepared baking pan!
It’s going to be a little crumbly at this point, that’s okay! Separate the scone dough into to equal piles, and oat them down into circles! My circles were about 6 inches in diameter, but they can differ in size based on the thickness of the scones!
Then, cut the two circles into six triangles each! I used a dough cutter, but you can use any knife (or maybe even a pizza cutter if that works for you! Separate out the scones once they’re cut, and brush them with oat milk! Bake for 14 minutes, cool, and enjoy!
Orange Cherry Scones
- 2 2/3 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cherries
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed mixed with 5 tablespoons water)
- 1/3 cup oat milk (plus more for brushing)
1. Preheat oven to 400F. In a large bowl combine cake flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Work in the vegan butter until combined.
2. Stir in the dried cranberries and the orange zest! Then add in the flax eggs and oat milk and mix until a dough forms.
3. Dump onto a prepared baking sheet and separate into two piles. Press each one into a uniform circle shape and cut into 6 triangles.
4. Brush with more oat milk, bake for 14 minutes, and enjoy!
2 thoughts on “Orange Cherry Scones”