These muffins are so fluffy, soft, sweet and loved by everyone! They have the best muffin tops and are full of walnuts that give them the best crunch to pair with the light and heavenly banana muffin batter!
First preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with liners. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cinnamon! We use both baking powder and baking soda in this recipe to help give the muffins their iconic muffin top! All the spices work together to help create the best blend of flavors!
Next, add in the chopped walnuts and stir into the dry ingredients! I used chopped walnuts in this recipe because I love how their neutral flavor pairs so with the sweet muffin base, but you can use any nuts that you have on hand, or even use seeds if you prefer!
Make sure they’re chopped small enough so you don’t get any whole nut chunks in your muffins, but not too small you don’t lost that amazing texture and crunch! In a separate bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, melted vegan butter, mashed bananas, dairy free yogurt, apple cider vinegar, and flax eggs!
We use brown sugar in this muffin recipe for the rich flavor and it helps keep the banana muffins nice and moist, rather then being dry and bland! You could use any liquid or melted oil in place of the vegan butter.
Make sure your bananas are super ripe before baking with them, the more brown and soft they are, the sweeter and more banana flavor they have! You can use any dairy free yogurt you like, I used vanilla yogurt in this recipe!
The apple cider vinegar is important because it helps the muffins to be able to rise! However, you could also use white vinegar with the same results! The flax eggs help the muffins bind together and stops them from being a crumbly mess!
Once whisked together, pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients and fold together. Carefully scoop into the muffin tin (this recipe makes about 21 muffins), and bake for 15-18 minutes! Cool, and enjoy!
Spiced Banana Nut Muffins
- 3 cups flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts or seeds
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup melted vegan butter
- 2 mashed bananas
- 3/4 cup dairy free yogurt
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed mixed with 5 tablespoons water)
1. Preheat oven to 350F and lime muffin tins with liners. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
2. Stir in the chopped nuts and set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, mashed bananas, melted vegan butter, dairy free yogurt, apple cider vinegar and flax eggs.
3. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, scoop into muffin tins. Bake for 15-18 minutes, cool, and enjoy!